Monday, March 17, 2008

Born on the Bayou

I thought I'd keep with Kara's theme of song titles, and though I wasn't born on the bayou, the Large Pelagics Research Lab tuna crew has migrated even further south than the turtle crew. I've made my way to the great metropolis of Cocodrie, LA in search of spawning bluefin -- ok, so maybe it's not quite a metropolis.

This is the second year I've ventured to the bayou to get samples of bluefin caught on their assumed spawning grounds in the Gulf of Mexico.

Unlike the turtle-folk, I don't make the trek down in a car, so my first task was shipping a bunch of supplies south, which should be arriving tomorrow -- just in time for the fish to arrive. I've been here for one day, and I'm still waiting the arrival of the fishing vessels, but they should be coming in any day now.

Life is simple here. No frills, nothing fancy, just the necessities -- getting here is the hardest part. The scenery is beautiful, and the sun feels warm (unlike in NH) so I cannot complain.






April 2007











I'll be posting throughout my stay here, so check back for updates and photos.

- Jessie Knapp, Ph.D. student, Large Pelagics Research Lab
- Photo Credits, Google Maps, Jessie Knapp

No comments: